Medela Supplemental Nursing System(SNS)
Supplemental Nursing System (SNS)
The Supplemental Nursing System is an ideal way to administer supplemental nutrition to babies while they are being breastfed. The system supports the unique bonding between mum and baby, motivating both of them to keep moving towards a more satisfying breastfeeding experience. This can be achieved by allowing the baby to get any additional milk they require through the SNS while feeding at the breast.
The Supplemental Nursing System: supporting bonding
“The SNS allows me to breastfeed again. That has given me a real psychological boost. I see the product as being a great opportunity for lots of women.” Christiane K.
The SNS is intended to enable mums to breastfeed when they would otherwise be unable to do so, and help the baby train their sucking behaviour. It offers the following advantages:
- It can be used by mums who have or think they have a low milk supply
- It helps to stimulate the mum’s milk supply through direct sucking at the breast
- It can be used when there is a requirement for supplements in addition to breast milk
- It trains the baby to suck properly by creating a vacuum at the breast
The Supplemental Nursing System is a reservoir that is filled with supplemental nutrition. It can then be placed on the mum’s chest or on a pole. The very thin, flexible tubes are fixed alongside the mother’s nipples and release additional milk and supplements as the baby feeds.
Benefits of the SNS
This special feeding device helps to ensure that the baby is given supplemental nutrition whilst breastfeeding.
The reservoir can be placed on the mum’s chest.
Very thin, flexible tubes are fixed alongside the mum’s nipples.
The device can be reused after it has been cleaned in accordance with the instructions for use.
- Enables mums to breastfeed when they would otherwise be unable to do so
- Helps to stimulate the mum’s milk supply through direct sucking at the breast
- Trains the baby to suck properly by creating a vacuum at the breast
- Supports parental involvement
- Supports unique contact between mum and baby
- Allows adopted babies to be fed at the breast